If you want to be a successful online teacher, then having a great presence on social media can help your business grow. Most people look at social media as just a way to stay in touch with friends and family, but it is also an excellent place for marketing. You could use sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram to spread the word about your services and provide potential customers with information about what you do.
The world of social media is a great place for teachers and educators to connect. They can also be a great way to share your knowledge with the world. Of course, the social network you use will depend on who your audience is. There’s no point in creating a profile for LinkedIn if you’re mainly targeting students.
Creating a social media profile for your online teaching business is one of the best methods to promote your services. Social media platforms are among the most popular ways to interact with customers on the web today.
This article will help you understand what social media platforms are available and how to create a professional social media profile for your online teaching business.
What is an online teaching profile?
An online teaching profile is the description of yourself that you offer to students on your website. It can be made up of text, video, audio, images and other media. It gives students a sense of who you are as an educator—what your experience is with both online teaching and the subject matter you teach—and provides them with information they need to make an informed decision about whether or not to take one of your courses.
You can use your online teaching profile to market yourself, or advertise for employment opportunities.
Let’s walk through the basics of how to set up and maintain an effective social media presence.
Show your presence everywhere
It is a common misconception that social media sites are only effective when they are used for marketing or advertising purposes. In reality, small businesses can achieve success simply by keeping an active presence on the most popular social networking sites. A strong social media presence will allow your business to reach a broader customer base and increase brand awareness in your community.
People nowadays look for good tutors on all social media platforms. Thus, expanding your social media presence and maintaining a consistent level of interaction brings you more customers.
According to study, 70% of YouTube viewers watch videos to find solutions to problems with their studies, hobbies, or jobs. A YouTube presence with tutorials, demo lectures, or sample mini-tests and solutions can aid in the development of trustworthiness.
Display your presence on Facebook with a business page, on Instagram with interactive posts about your subject, and on YouTube.
There are a few steps to creating a social media profile.
Step 1: Sign up at facebook to create an account.
Step 2: Provide all necessary information such as your first and last name, date of birth, and gender, phone number, email address.
Step 3: Create a password.
Step 4: Click to sign up.
Step 5: Confirm your email address or mobile number in order to finish creating your account.
Step 1: Download the instagram app. Once downloaded, open the application.
Step 2: Android users must choose “sign up with email or phone number” and iPhone users must choose “create new account”.
Step 3: Enter your email address and phone number and click “next”.
Step 4: Create a username and password. Provide necessary information and tap next.
Step 5: You can also sign up with your facebook account by clicking the option “Login with Facebook”.
If you sign up by email, double-check that your email address is correct and is accessible only by you. If you forget your password and log out, you must read your emails in order to regain access to your Instagram account.
How to create an instagram business account?
Step 1: In the lower right corner of the app, go to your Instagram profile.
Step 2: Click on the menu button in the top right corner.
Step 3: Go to “settings” and scroll down to “account”.
Step 4: Scroll down and select “Switch to Professional Account”.
Step 5: Look through the features of the professional account and select continue.
Step 6: Choose a Category from the available options for your brand.
Step 7: Select your account type as “Business” in the next screen.
Step 8: Review your contact information and go to next.
Step 9: Link your Instagram account to your existing Facebook business page, or create a new Facebook page.
Step 1: Create a google account
- Login with your google account.
- If you have numerous accounts, you can select the one you want to be associated with your Youtube channel.
- Create a google account if you do not have one.
- You can now proceed with creating a new Youtube channel using your google account.
Step 2: Create a Youtube channel
After signing up with a google account it’s time to create a Youtube channel.
- Login Youtube with your google account.
- Click on the user icon on the top right hand corner.
- From the dropdown menu click on “settings”. This will direct you to your account overview page.
- Select “create a new channel” under your channel.
- This will redirect you to the new page where you will be asked to create your channel name. Add your channel name, agree to the terms by selecting the checkbox and click on “create”. Make sure your channel name must represent your brand.
- Verify your account by providing either your phone number. Choose whether you want to receive the codes via text message or voice call from the options provided.
- Enter the verification code.
- After verification you will be redirected to the dashboard to customize your channel.
Step 3: Customize your channel
- Click on “Customize Channel”. You will be directed to the channel customization page.
- There are three tabs in the channel customization page, “Layout”, “Branding” and “Basic info”. These tabs will help you optimize your channel.
Step 4: Add basic information to your channel
- Click on the “Basic info” tab.
- In this section you must add some basic information about your channel such as the language in which your videos will be created, description that will help people to discover about your channel when they enter keywords about the videos they are looking for. These keywords can include what your channel is all about, the solution it provides, your courses, features, your business and much more.
Step 5: Branding
Next step involves “branding” your channel. In the branding section you will be able to upload your profile picture, banner image and video watermark.
- Profile picture: The profile helps the viewers to identify the course creator. You can upload your own picture or the picture representing your business/brand.
Youtube profile pictures must be of 98 x 98 pixels in size.
- Banner image: A banner image is a large image/banner that must be displayed at the top of the channel page.
Youtube banner images must be at least 2048 x 1152 pixels.
- Video watermark: Video watermark must be displayed at the bottom right corner of every video posted. Choose a logo that represents you.
The logo must be at least 150 x 150 pixels.
Step 6: Customize your layout
Go to the “layout” tab. This section helps you specify certain details about how your content should be displayed on your channel. This will help you assign a video limelight as well as assemble your channel page with featured segments.
Step 7: Creating and Uploading videos
Click on the “create” option on the top right corner of the page. You will be provided with two options, “upload videos” and “go live”.
This will assist you in uploading your videos or going live. Once you’ve started uploading your videos, you’ll need to optimise them so that viewers can find them.
Some important steps to be followed for optimization:
- Title: One of the most important aspects of any video is the title. It is one of the things our eyes look for when looking for a video. As a result, the title should be not only convincing, but also clear and straightforward.
- Description: The description must be no more than 1000 characters long. Youtube only displays the first two to three lines of a text that is approximately 100 characters long. As a result, you must be certain that you are only providing useful information.
- Tags: Using tags informs your viewers about the subject of your video. YouTube can connect your video with similar videos, which can increase the reach of your content. Avoid using deceptive tags in order to increase views, as Google may penalise you for doing so.
- Category: You can group your videos with similar content on YouTube by selecting a category.
Here’s a complete blog on How to promote courses on Youtube.
Things to follow to make your social media profile appear authentic
The picture that represents you on social media is an important representation of your business. It is the first thing that people will see when they are checking you out. Many people often take pictures with their phones and upload them to their social media accounts; however, when seeing one of these pictures for the first time, it can be difficult to determine if they are a professional headshot or just a snapshot. So take time to choose it carefully.
Make sure your image conveys a friendly and professional impression. Appear to be someone who is confident in their knowledge of the subject and is not angry or irritated.
Make your profile picture unique by following these tips:
- Wear bright colors
- Be minimum with prints
- Smile nicely
- Keep simple background
Portfolio or Resume for online teaching-Keep it brief but detailed
As an online tutor you need to think creatively about how you can stand out from the crowd. One way is by creating a resume for your social media profile.
A well-designed resume displays all of your work in one place so that people can get a better idea of who you are and what you have to offer.
You must include the following in your resume:
- Your full name
- Subject of expertise
- Details of professional courses in the your subject of expertise (if any)
- Professional teaching experience
Remember to keep your resume brief but detailed.
Leave a Lasting impact for Yourself in the Video Industry
We live in a digital age, and videos are an effective way to increase engagement and boost the success of your business. Thus you can create an introductory video with a lot of tags and proper SEO. This will help you gain students in large numbers.
Tips to create a perfect yet effective video for your social media profile:
- Make your video as brief as possible. The introductory video should last between 46 and 60 seconds.
- Use cards or pictures – placing informative cards or your social media handles can assist you in doing more than just talking through the video.
- Avoid speaking over long video segments and make use of multiple video and transition features. Make very short clips that can be transitioned from one to the next.
- Students adore interactive banners, tags, and stickers, so using them will make you appear more interesting and friendly.
Call to action
Social media is all about sharing your content with people, but the secret to successful social media marketing is having a clear call-to-action (CTA). A call to action button is the most important part of any social media profile. This is what determines how many people will engage with your content.
The best way to create more engagement on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks is by using calls-to-action that direct consumers back to your website.
If you want to improve your engagement rate, it’s vital that you choose a call to action that appeals to your audience and that isn’t too salesy.
Create clickable links, phone call widgets, and call to action buttons to save your audience from having to scroll through a long page to find your contact information.
Mention your business phone number and email address near the top of your profile. On time, respond to messages sent through online portals. Set up alerts for all of your social media inboxes, as tutors have a habit of ignoring direct messages, which causes many messages to go unanswered.
Include useful links
Get reviews on websites and connect them to your social media profile. Linking your reviews and demo videos completes your profile.
Make sure to connect everything you can. If you have a blog, website, or channel, include links to them in your profile as well.
This can help you come as a thorough professional, as failing to include all of your links may result in lower conversion rates. Because tutoring is frequently viewed as a part time job, it is critical to present yourself as a thorough professional.
Make sure to post on all of your social media handles on a regular basis and engage your audience with polls, quizzes, and other activities, as simply being present on social media is not enough.
Posting too much about your business on social media will make you appear desperate and will bore your audience. Make a schedule for posting on social media and stick to it to keep things looking clean and on time.
For example, you can choose to upload a video on one day of the week, say Thursday, and conduct an Instagram Q&A on another day of the week. The same method can be used to upload YouTube videos.
This will keep your audience waiting for your content on that specific day, as well as increase the number of followers on your account through your audience as they recommend your pages to their kiths and kins.
Who should create a social media profile for online teaching?
Freelance tutors are becoming more and more popular in several countries. These teachers work from home or a workplace, teaching students online through various platforms. In order to become a freelance tutor, you will need to have knowledge in a variety of subjects and be able to teach effectively. Many people are choosing this option as a side hustle or to supplement their income, especially in the midst of the economic crisis.
A freelance tutor must have a social media profile for their online teaching business. To appear as a genuine teacher, you must provide your bio, image, and an introductory video about yourself, how you work as a teacher, your professional experience as a tutor, and the badges you have earned (if any).
Teachers looking for job through job portals
Teachers who apply through job boards must create a social media profile. The job portals allow you to upload your resume, but because recruiters do not have the time to read every resume, you must create a teaching profile and use it to apply for the jobs you are interested in.
Teachers using marketplace to apply for job
Marketplace websites serve as a go-between for teachers and students. When a marketplace advertises tutors on their platform, the first thing students look for is for profile description. As a result, having a catchy teacher profile is critical not only for informing students about you but also for catching their attention.
Creating a social media profile for online teaching can be a great way to promote your business and connect with students. The steps we’ve outlined in this article should help you get started with building an effective profile that will serve as the foundation of your website marketing strategy.